Friday, September 29, 2006

And back here on Earth...

..Expedition 13 and Iranian Space 'Tourist' Anousheh Ansari have touched down this morning at about 1:13AM. The landing was shown live on NASA - although I've not been able to view it yet I do intend to as soon as I can.

I first read about Anousheh in October's Astronomy Now and found her blog a day or so later. By this point she was halfway through her journey so I had a little catching up to do.

When I first heard that people were able to pay to see Space or visit the ISS I was a little jealous, I'll admit! But as I read on, I felt pleased to be able to share in her experience with other readers many of who were people with good intentions, hopes and dreams. I think perhaps that this is something that can be shared so well by anyone with a computer.. and without the blog we'd have had no idea how amazing the journey would be or how it feels to be weightless in the ISS. Or even what space 'smells' like. Or how you feel when you see all those sunrises and sunsets each day and our home spinning beneath you while you watch from orbit.

Anousheh's shared with us all that and more. It makes you appreciate those who work on the International Space Station and sends out messages of hope and understanding for a better future... and it sends them worldwide.

Her journal is here:
http://spaceblog.xprize.org/

No comments: